Located on George Street off Bay Street in downtown Nassau, this stone cathedral and square tower in simple Gothic style were consecrated in 1845 by Bishop Spenser, replacing four earlier churches stretching back to about 1670. The foundation stone of the present church was laid by Governor Sir Francis Cockburn in 1837. It was granted cathedral status in 1861, thus becoming "The Cathedral Church of the Bahamas", creating the Diocese of Nassau and giving the settlement of Nassau the right to claim city status.|
The interior has a fine set of stained glass windows, an impressive organ and a mahogany ceiling. What is of particular interest are the memorial plaques from the 1800's documenting the life histories of local residents and their deaths in shipwrecks, of yellow fever and after childbirth.
The church was enlarged between 1864-1865. Stained glass windows were installed in 1868 and replaced in 1945 after being damaged.