Aka Crown Plaza, at the corner Commercial & W. Magnolia, is uniquely connected with Bellingham's past. It was constructed in an era of national prosperity and a local upward economic trend Soon after, however, the Great Depression struck and the building was forced to close.|
The partnership of Montague & McHugh began in 1890 with their first store located in the former town of New Whatcom. Their new 5-story department store building, in the Neoclassical Commercial style in downtown Bellingham included retail facilities, & a tearoom & ballroom for public use. The spectacular ballroom was one of six in the United States that included a Zenithern floor, considered the finest type for dancing. However, during WWII the interior of the building was completely gutted, ballroom and all, and used as a bomb casing factory for the Boeing Company.