During Roman times a simple wooden or stone tower rose at the site of the castle, called the CARCISIS PORTUS. It was not so much a defensive structure as an observation position. During the 8th century, CASTRUM CARSISIS was surrounded by a fortified wall which seems to have been raised against the Sarrazines.|
During the Hundred Years war robbers formed "Grandes Companies" and ravaged Provence. In response Francois des Baux further fortifiied his only outlet to the sea. In the 15th century, some 50 houses and 250 people lived inside this enclosure.In 1536 the rumour of another attack once more made it clear that something needed to be done. At the end of the 17 century cannons were installed, but the defences from that time on, became less and less necessary.
Today, the chateau grounds contain what one particular internet site calls a fancy B and B. To keep it fancy and exclusive, no one but guests are welcome. As a result, unfortunately, It was not a place we visited.